I was a newly promoted Master Kettlebell Instructor. And I couldn't pick up a kettlebell. For 18 months. I had spent four years ruthlessly practicing mobility drills to fix chronic knee pain. My reward: a smaller, weaker, discoordinated body — and a lower back that kept locking up while I was supposed to be presenting to colleagues. So I went all in on bodyweight. No barbells. No kettlebells. Just movement. 18 months later I was stronger on kettlebells than I'd ever been. Here's exactly what I did — and the 3 exercises that rebuilt everything.
THE CONFESSION:
Late 2010. I had just been promoted to Master Kettlebell Instructor in the RKC organization.
My body was falling apart.
From January 2006 through December 2009 — four full years — I had been obsessively practicing mobility exercises and drills to eliminate chronic, often excruciating knee pain. The kind of pain that stopped me from lifting the way I wanted to lift.
The result of four years of dedicated mobility work?
A smaller, weaker, discoordinated body. And a lower back that kept locking up — including once while presenting to colleagues, narrowly avoiding the humiliation of being unable to move in front of the people I was supposed to be teaching.
My decision: go all in on bodyweight. No kettlebells. No barbells. Eighteen months.
THE 18-MONTH EXPERIMENT:
During those 18 months, I worked exclusively on movements from the human developmental sequence — crawling patterns, gymnastics-based calisthenics, and the foundational positions the body uses before it learns to stand and load.
I built my strength work around three exercises:
1 — Parallel Dips
2 — Chin-Ups / Pull-Ups
3 — Pistol Squats
The selection wasn't random. After 20 years of overloading my posterior chain — the muscles on the backside of my body — through kettlebell and Olympic lifting, I discovered my anterior chain (the front side) was devastatingly weak by comparison.
These three exercises hammered my anterior chain. Rebuilt the imbalance. And restored the movement quality that four years of mobility work had failed to produce.
THE RESULTS:
18 months later, after dropping 15-20 lbs:
✅ 4 sets of 10 Double Cleans with 2x40kg — I stopped at 4 sets because I was bored, not because I was tired
✅ Power Snatched 100kg from the hang — without training or practicing the lift at all during those 18 months
Pretty, pretty good.
THE 3 EXERCISES — AND WHY THEY WORK FOR MEN OVER 40:
Parallel Dips (bars or rings):
Trains the anterior chain directly. Done correctly, the hanging position deloads and decompresses my spine — which gets compressed from sitting all day AND from kettlebell training. Rings add instability that demands more shoulder stabilization. Either version builds pressing strength that carries over directly to my kettlebell work.
Chin-Ups / Pull-Ups: Same decompression benefit from hanging. Trains the upper back, lats, biceps, grip, and shoulder stabilizers — the muscles most of us have undertrained from years of pushing more than pulling. Palms-facing (chin-up) stretches tight forearms and relieves cranky elbows. Both variations are highly valuable and worthy of serious attention in your training.
Pistol Squats / Lunges:
Pistols are out of reach for most men over 40 — substitute Lunges. Both train single-leg strength, anterior chain, and hip stability without the spinal loading of barbell squats. I'd progress from Lunges toward Pistols as your mobility and stability improve.
WHY I DON'T RECOMMEND PUSH-UPS (yet):
Most men over 40 have rounded, slumped shoulders and poor thoracic spine mobility from sitting all day. Their chest muscles are short and tight. Their shoulder mechanics are already compromised.
Push-ups in that state increase wear and tear on the shoulder joint — especially the rotator cuff.
The fix isn't skipping push-ups forever. It's restoring posture and shoulder mechanics first — through the three foundational positions of the developmental sequence (supine, side-lying, and prone) — and then reintroducing push-ups once the shoulder is moving properly.
Skip that sequence and push-ups quietly compound the problem you're trying to fix.
This 5 LEVEL Kettlebell Programming Pyramid is pretty cut and dry - Until it’s NOT. The navigation key is understanding PROGRESSION. And admittedly, that can be tricky. For example, Isaac emailed me the other day with the following comment and great questions: “You're on the money re: the Giant, I'm a BJJ practitioner and have been on the protocol for a month and the gains have been obvious not just to me but to my gym mates… I also recently got KSK - do you have any recommendations as to how I should cycle between the 2 protocols? Also, wondering why these 2 are level 3 programs instead of 4 based on the chart you shared?” So, before I answer his questions directly, I want to break this down so you can easily “surf” this pyramid, understanding what exercises and programs will work the best for you based upon your current situation. Here’s the principles for the safest, most effective (re: Fastest Results) way to “learn” or build out our training/workouts: [+] Technique/ Sk...
Yeah, I bet that sounds crazy, doesn’t it? Most people think that the kettlebell Snatch can DESTROY shoulders NOT rehab them. And yet - behold this forum post which we’ll put up here on the screen: So to quote Slim Pickens from Blazing Saddles, “What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is going on here?” Well, the Snatch is like a scalpel - a tool. Used correctly in the right hands, it can be used to facilitate healing. Used incorrectly, and in the wrong hands, it can be used to “destroy.” (As in tearing the long head of the biceps tendon, for example.) How exactly does this work? Well, admittedly, I rarely talk about this because it is just so misunderstood. But I have been using the Snatch to rehab shoulders since the late 1990s. The Snatch is basically an accelerated form of the PNF (Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation - a rehab system) D2 flexion / extension (D= Diagonal) pattern. Here’s what it looks like: Look at the yellow highlights - “D2 Extension” and “D2 Flexion.” That’s ...
https://g o.chasingstreng th.com/kettlebell-maximorum-e/ 22 reasons why guys our age should stay away from training to failure: 1. No strength advantage when volume is matched (failure vs. non-failure are similar). https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9068575/ https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26666744/ 2. Hypertrophy is similar when volume is matched; any edge for failure is small and mainly with very light loads. https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9068575/ https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9935748/ 3. Failure sessions produce more acute fatigue, muscle damage, and higher perceived effort - worse next-session readiness. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34881412/ https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC11057610/ 4. Non-failure lets you train more often (frequency) and accumulate productive volume - key for hypertrophy over 40. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27102172/ 5. Lower “velocity loss” (i.e., stop sets before grinding) preserv...
Comments
Post a Comment